Monday, May 24, 2010

This is Why I watch Television


So the last few days I have been subjected to several season and series finales of some of my favorite shows. Most notably LOST which echoes an emotional response I had when ALIAS ended as well as the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica. Folks, I only watch quality television and I do argue with those people that don't "waste their time with TV" which I find to be preposterous. Of course there's tons of crap out there. But then there's stuff I like to compare to great novels that have a point and something where the viewer has a connection and the reason why I chose to study film and media in college.

I finally came to the conclusion that I enjoyed the LOST series finale even though at first I was just rolling my eyes. What I liked about the characters of lost is that they were all flawed, as all of us are, even when we try to hide those things. Everyone has messed up big time at least once in their lives. So, they are relatable and these characters have gone through shit storms and they've managed to cover up these secrets to the people they have met after they are stranded on this island. But, eventually they are found out as the inevitability of secrets do and there are so many consequences both positive and negative. I get so enamored with the characters in my favorite television shows because of how I can relate. It seems dumb, but even Alias gave me a glimpse into something that I felt I experienced in my own life. Sydney Bristow's mother supposedly dies in a car crash at a young age and is basically ignored by her father while growing up. Eventually she grows up to be a spy (that her father secretly trained her for while growing up (SO SHE WAS FORCED INTO THIS LIFE of ESPIONAGE)) and learns that her mother is actually alive (who is a "bad" spy) and is a crazy bizznatch who shoots at her daughter when seeing her for the first time in years. As the series goes on Sydney gets more shit piled up onto her than any other working woman I know, and sometimes, when there seems to be some kind of a mended semblance of a relationship with her parents (and half sister...long story) something goes wrong. But like most divorce situations, Sydney's parents were too concerned with their own ambitions (of protection and of finding eternal life (Another long story)) to really think about the child they had brought into this world who has to deal with the repercussions of her parents actions (which she never asked for in the first place). I think that what satisfied me most about the ending of the series was that her father eventually apoligized for everything, but her mother was still stuck on something "greater" than her daughter and Sydney never got that real closure she needed from her....Maybe I'm going crazy here because it's almost 2am. But, I think you catch my drift if you've been reading my posts here. I felt that kind annoyance and heartache that these characters have experienced loss and hopelessness, and I feel like it helps me cope in some ways. Even with Battlestar Galactica, it questions the notion of a "one true god" and my own confusion about "what's really out there" and LOST did the same thing with this whole light and dark, heaven and hell thing that doesn't necessarily have to do with a certain religion but just a question about what we have faith in.

I think I blabbed a lot and I think people that have watched all three of these series and know me would understand that's it's not me on crack or anything. But I love these kinds of series that represent ourselves for who we are as human beings both in the best of times and in the worst. If a show can make me get all teary-eyed and choked up like when I did with Alias, Lost, and Battlestar Galactica, then you have made a successful series.

So don't knock the boob tube just yet...give it a chance and I promise you that you can find something there for yourself, just like you could find in a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment